Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Literacy Project - Rough Draft

Click Here to Watch the Rough Draft of my Literacy Project!

For my literacy project I chose to work with a group of Kindergarteners. The purpose was to present the project as an author study, but also as an introduction to digital stories. The children listened to a story by Eric Carle, and then illustrated pages from the book using crayons and watercolor paints.

The students have become very familiar with Eric Carle books, so we discussed books they remembered reading by him. We talked about the type of art Eric Carle uses in his books, and how he creates his pictures. I then read to the class "10 Little Rubber Ducks." We carefully reviewed each part of the story using terms such as 'beginning,' 'middle,' 'end,' 'then,' 'next,' and, 'lastly.'

Ahead of the lesson, I decided how I was going to divvy up the book pages among 22 children. I photocopied pages from the book, and numbered them in the order they would appear in the digital story. When the time came for the children to draw, I handed each child a 'page' from the book. The children were not expected to copy the picture, but to use it as a reminder for what their picture was supposed to be about.

My digital story is almost complete, but still needs narration to be done over this coming weekend. Other than that, the image sequence is correct!

2 comments:

  1. We assume you will show the children the final product. If so, they should enjoy it, and they will have an opportunity to see their literacy skills evolving right in front of them through visual and auditory media. What a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so cute. My students loved when I showed them our digital story. They get a kick out of watching themselves on a screen. I can't wait to see the final product!

    ReplyDelete